You may not have control over stormy weather delays or a customer who can’t make up his mind about shingle color, but you can take steps to boost roofing productivity for your crews to help them get jobs done sooner and increase your company's bottom line.
Better productivity isn’t something to strive for because it’s what business gurus say you “should” do. Rather, work toward efficiency because it will help you build a healthier bottom line. How many more roofing projects could you book each month if you could save 4, 6, or even 8 labor hours each day?
Use these tips to increase your roofers’ productivity:
Build strong employer/employee relations.
Happy workers are productive workers. That’s especially true in a line of work like roofing, where long days and physical strain are common. And in order to retain quality employees, it's important to make sure they're happy with the work environment and their responsibilities.
Grow yourself an efficient workforce by:
- Allowing crews to have input when you’re creating new policies.
- Responding to employees’ questions and concerns.
- Aligning management actions with your company’s vision statement or business objectives.
Invest in high-quality roofing equipment and tools.
You don’t have to roof the same way your father did. The right tools will streamline the roofing and material-handling process so crews complete more jobs faster and more efficiently without sacrificing quality.
The Equipter RB4000 is a specialized dump container designed specifically for the roofing industry. How does it make crews more efficient?
- Tow it to the job site with any vehicle capable of towing a trailer.
- Drive it (via its gas-powered engine) virtually anywhere on the job site so it can be positioned where crew members are working.
- Use the roll-back extension to extend the container backward up to 4 feet, allowing the bed to be positioned over landscaping or property features.
- Raise the RB4000 up to 12 feet high so roofers can deposit materials directly into the container.
- When the container is full, simply drive it to a conventional dump container or truck to dispose of old shingles, nails, and other debris.
Since an Equipter-assisted crew handles less heavy, bulky material, the roofers are less tired at the end of the day, which means more work gets done.
Check out 8 Unique Roofing Tools That Boost Productivity to learn about additional roofing equipment options that help get the job done faster.
Don’t let your business get bogged down with problems that sound like, I didn’t see that message, or, Who’s doing what? Improve business efficiency by establishing clear communication flows between crews, project managers, and other key personnel.
In addition, with so many ways to communicate these days, it’s smart to establish a preferred communication method, like text, email, or app (like Slack) for real-time team collaboration and problem-solving.
How do you boost roofing productivity among your work crews? Let us know by commenting or starting a conversation at Equipter on Facebook.